Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sisterlocks: A Natural Lifestyle

For those who haven't a clue about Sisterlocks, let me give you a little description (from culturedlocs.com)

"Sisterlocks are tiny uniform locs that are the result of a precision parting grid, and the use of a specialized tool that places the hair into its locing formation. The Sisterlocks method does not require the use of waxes or jells. The small size and parting grid form a loc that is easily
styled
."


The system was created by Dr. JoAnne Cornwell (pictured above). I LOVE her hair! Fabulous!



Sounds interesting right? Looks pretty enticing too! As you can see from the picture, this style allows you to create many unique styles as the locs are so small that they mimick free-flowing strands of hair. For busy women like me, this could be a miracle! My curiosity is continuing to rise! I'm one of those girls who likes to do everything for myself, if I can help it. I became instantly interested in learning the technique and typed on over to the Sisterlocks website to learn more. They provide training classes, which are approximately $1500....yikes! Not in my budget at the moment, but a definite candidate for the near future.

As a natural hair stylist, I've obviously heard of Sisterlocks. I guess since I've been sort of stuck in my own ways of doing things, I've only peeked into the idea of adding Sisterlocks as a service. The thought of individually crocheting small strands of hair together to form tiny locks all over the heads screams "MICRO BRAIDS" which I sincerely HATE doing with a passion! After checking out the Tomoka's Twist blog (by Carmen) yesterday, I've gotten a little more curious about how to do them (she does Sisterlocks in Atlanta and they look pretty cool).


Here are some interesting FAQs that will make a sista think before making the sisterlock commitment (from the culturedlocs.com).


How long does my hair need to be to start Sisterlocks?

Sisterlocks can be started with 1 1/2 inches of natural unprocessed hair.
Where shorter hair can be caught in a locing pattern, 1 1/2 inches will ensure the first stages of locing will be easier to manage during your home care.


Do I need to cut my relaxed hair?
No, you don't have to cut your hair. Sisterlocks can be started with your
relaxed length left untouched as long as you have 1 1/2 inches of natural hair at the root. As your hair grows, and is set into a loc pattern, your relaxed hair will be trimmed away.

How long will it take to start my Sisterlocks?
In an idea situation, your "Initial Locking Session" will take about 13
hours. Your hair length, density, and head size determine the actual amont of time it will take to start your Sisterlocks. A better time frame will be given at your consultation.

Is my hair type right for Sisterlocks?
All hair with a curl or wave pattern is the right type for Sisterlocks.
Sisterlocks has developed several "locking patterns", one of which is just right for your hair type.



Are Sisterlocks permanent?
During the first 6 months of development, Sisterlocks can be removed.
Removal will likely take more time, and be more costly than your Initial Locking Session. Most Consultants will not loc your hair if removal is a great concern. You should be sure that the Sisterlocks method is right for you
.


Sounds even more tempting right? Everything accept for the part about them being ((((GASP))))...PERMANENT excite me! I am just too indecisive about my hair and I have SERIOUS commitment issues when it comes to my hairstyles, that permanence makes me RUUUUUUUn for the border. Besides, I love my curly q's too much to lock them up permanently.

"The company motto says it all: 'Sisterlocks is not about a hairstyle, it’s about a lifestyle.' "
Sooo, ladies (and gents) if you are interested in learning the technique or getting them done by a certified Sister Loctician, check out the official website http://www.sisterlocks.com/ for more info.

Just wanted to share. Ciao.
p.s. I know I know, I was supposed to upload my Twist out video tutorial, but I haven't had the time. I am making a commitment to get it done this weekend. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted this info about the sisterlocks. My mom has been considering getting them. Now you have saved me alot of time in research. They are very nice but my mom does not want them to be permenant. However I am amazed with the versatility. Their popularity is starting to pick in FL.

CarmenNC said...

Thank you for the shout out on Tomoka's Twists and Sisterlocks. I love natural hair in general, yet SLs offer better length retention, no detangling, minimum products usage. Some say they offer more style options, but the full afro (mine flopped) and the afro puff are gone. I enjoy my Sisterlocks and so do many others.

KurlyQue said...

I want to get these so bad...but it's to much of a commitment for me right now.

gingersnapcake said...

My best friend has them and I must say, I am VERY, VERY tempted to get them. They are so gorgeous and they are easy to manage. AND they are SO much fun to style!! lolol I think my next hair journey will be with the sisterlocks. They look great on guys too!!! One of my guy friends has them and they look tha BOMB

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am in search of photograph(s) of newly installed SL's on 3b/3c hair that is 16" long like mine.

My install is 7/15 so if I do not locate one by then guess I'll have my own as a reference.

Still looking.

Anonymous said...

Good commentary. I think Sister Locks are beautiful and a lot more feminine than general dreadlocks.

Anonymous said...

omGaawsh i want them so badly so so badly..but im not sure it its the right thing !!

Anonymous said...

Pam said...
I have been rocking my locs for a little over a year and a half. I have an very active life and my locs allow me to maintain beauty and style with minimum fuss. I love my locs!!!